Last year I attended AASLH for the first time in Birmingham, AL. And I absolutely loved the experience – so much that I jumped at the chance to help with a session this year in St. Paul, MN.
Here are a few tips for you first time attendees:
- Take care where you sit! Join a half full table and jump into the conversation instead of sitting by yourself. Use the old standby “Is this seat taken?” as an ice breaker.
- Don’t forget your phone cord! Other things to bring with you include a pen and paper, a stack of business cards for networking and a sweater for the conference rooms. Oh and ladies, skip the heels! You will thank me later.
- If you have a free session – try something completely different than your current collection – learn about case studies in another area of the country or a tool you haven’t used before.
- Attending with a close colleague? Break up and go your separate ways for the sessions – that way you double your session notes and you can regroup back at the office with lots to talk about.
- Don’t forget to SMILE! You could be back at your desk swamped in paperwork.